Congratulations to Steeple Aston WI–100 years old this month and still going strong. We have had WIs in Oxfordshire from 1916 (Kelmscott was the first formed opening in 1916, but closed in 1992) but Steeple Aston is our first WI to reach its centenary. Their banner – pictured here is thought to have been made in the late 1920s. The members have contributed to village life over many years - during World War II they helped organise the ladies of Steeple Aston to make-do and mend and collect vegetables and fruit for preserving. They were allocated extra sugar for this by the Ministry of Food. WI members also knitted scarves and socks for the armed forces serving overseas. Since then the WI has played an active part in village life including arranging for a village map to be displayed, lobbying and part funding better lighting outside the village hall, laying a wreath on the War Memorial and presenting their Silver Jubilee Cup and Coronation Bowl at the village Spring and Autumn Shows. Members have been contributing to their Centenary Fund for several years and we look forward to hearing news from their special activities later in the year.
100 years and still going. Steeple Aston - March 1918 - 2018
Updated: May 19, 2019